As of 2018, CAPTA is going to require inter professional education within DPT curriculum.
- 6F: Interprofessional education in the didactic and clinical curriculum
- 6L3: Involvement in inter professional practice in clinical education experiences
“When students from two or more professions learn about, from and with each other to enable effective collaboration and improve health outcomes.”
IPEC Core Competencies
- Work with individuals of other professions to maintain a climate of mutual respect and shared values.
- Use the knowledge of ones own role and those of other professions to appropriately assess and address the care needs of patients and to promote and advance health of populations.
- Communicate with patients, families, communities and professionals in health and other fields in a responsive and responsible manner that supports a team approach to the promotion and maintenance of health and the prevention/treatment of disease
- Apply relationship-building values and the principles of team dynamics to perform effectively in different team roles to plan, deliver and evaluate patient/population-centered care and population health programs and policies that are safe, timely, efficient, effective and equitable.
Interprofessional Models That Encourage InterDisciplinary Learning
Schools will use what they have available:
CLARION (Minnesota): medicine, nursing, pharmacy, public health. This program has inter disc. learning team that has a capstone event where a “team” works together to figure out a case.
Mayo Clinic: medicine and physical therapy. Medical and Physical Therapy students take anatomy together and have trivia and IPE competitions (they work in PT + MD teams).
College of North Atlantic Qatar: respiratory therapy, medical radiography, pharmacy tech, EMS, dental assisting, EHS. They work in teams and have to problem solve complex patient cases.
Taiwan: EBP medicine competition with hospital professionals.
IPMC at UMB
- Written Round: Teams meet and write a case
- Cases Scored: Faculty from each program score their specific program
- Scores Tallied: Top 3 teams notified they will do oral presentation
- Oral Final Round: Faculty judges presentation and determines winner