Direct Access Certification
With a shift in payment models that focus on outcomes, it’s expected that many physical therapy businesses will seek highly-qualified and educated professionals to comply with new standards. The Nxt Gen Institute of PT believes that physical therapists should be the first point of contact for patients with suspected neuromusculoskeletal conditions. Our Direct Access Certification Program prepares physical therapists to fulfill that role. Directed and taught by Dr. Bob DuVall, this hybrid-educational program reviews the “how” to being an autonomous practitioner. Coupled with advanced differential diagnosis and medical screening procedures, activities geared toward writing referrals inter/intra-professionally, execution of a PT Assessment process driven by a Movement Diagnosis, and application of patient advocacy based on research and the health consumer market. This Certification program sets the standard for Primary Care Physical Therapy Education.
Program Director: Bob Duvall, PT, DPT, DSc, OCS, SCS, FAAOMPT
Target Audience: Physical Therapists
Application Deadline: All applicants who purchase this course will be enrolled in the 2019 cohort.
- Must hold a state license to practice physical therapy
- Must have professional liability insurance
- Must be employed and have diverse mix of patients
- Must have a computer and good internet connection
This 12-month curriculum focuses on blending content on basic sciences, orthopedics and direct access. Below are details on the required courses within the program:
- 102: Understanding Direct Access
- 102a: Differential Diagnosis and Medical Screening
- 102b: Triage of the Upper Body
- 102c: Triage of the Lower Body
- 102d: Direct Access in PT/Clinical Reasoning 1
- 102e: Direct Access Certification Exam
- 103: Fundamentals in Orthopedics and Direct Access Lab
- 104: Nxt Gen Mentoring and Leadership
Mentorship from a board-certified PT is a requirement within this program.
- 150 hours of Direct 1:1 Mentorship
Our programs are built upon a learning management system which is located directly within Microsoft Office 365. All technology fees are included within tuition costs. You will receive 1-year access to Office 365, starting from your start date.
Multi-Site Accreditation has been granted for the incorporation of this curriculum into our Fellowship in Orthopedic Manual Physical Therapy and Orthopedic Residency programs.