Dr. Matthew Zanis, PT, DPT, OCS has developed this 20 unit, web-based specialty program to cover all of the major topics within Orthopedic Physical Therapy. Each unit has both live and recorded lectures which will guide you through the curriculum.
Target Audience: Experienced PTAs
Application Deadline (for 2018 cohort): 2/1/2018
Pre-requisites: Must be licensed PTA
Program: This is a web-based, 10-month program that you can complete from anywhere in the country! Experts in the field of physical therapy will guide you through weekly, online lunch and learn sessions where you will be presented with advanced education in orthopedics. Each session will consist of presentations, case studies, and visual guidance through videos from an expansive library of exercise progressions and regressions, manual therapy techniques, and assessments. You will have opportunities to ask questions and network with a host of world-renowned doctors of physical therapy who are on the cutting edge of evidence based practice.
There will be an Orthopedic Specialization Final Exam at the conclusion of the program.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Do I need to attend the live sessions? Yes. We hold live, 2-hour webinars every 3 weeks which will allow you to synthesize your learning. These are mandatory to ensure your knowledge is challenged as you matriculate through the program.
- Are the OPTA courses blended with any other program courses, such as OCS Fast Track or Orthopedic Residency? No. Because of the unique body of knowledge required as a PTA, all sessions are attended by PTA’s only.
- Are Continuing Education Units (CEUs) available for participation in this course Yes. We are able to award CEUs for many states. See CEU Approval
- How was the curriculum developed? Dr. Matthew Zanis, PT, DPT, OCS has developed this 20 unit, web-based specialty program to cover all of the major topics within Orthopedic Physical Therapy. We have adapted curriculum that has been approved by ABPTRFE within our Orthopedic Residency.
- What should I expect each week? Each week, there will be a summary video that you can observe on your own time. This video will review a topic in Orthopedics. Following the video, you will partake in weekly discussions via our discussion board and complete a short quiz. Every three weeks, there will be a live 2-hour “OPTA Masterclass session” from 12pm-2pm Eastern Time. Each session will cover a specific topic in orthopedics and the discussion will be led by a NxtGen faculty member.
- Will there be a final exam? Yes, there will be a comprehensive final exam at the end of the course. Each participant will have 2 weeks and 2 attempts at the exam and will require a minimum of 80% to pass. This exam is comprehensive and will pull information from each of the lessons in the curriculum.
- Is there an application process? Yes, there is an application process via the NxtGen website. Each application will be reviewed by NxtGen faculty for admission.
- How much does the course cost? Is a payment plan available? The course is $1500. Payment can be made in full, 3 installments, or 12 installments.
- Will a certificate be awarded upon completion of the course? Yes, upon successful completion and passing of the final exam, a certificate will be issued and mailed to each participant.
- Is there a credential that I can use after my name? Yes, the credential “OPTA” can be utilized after successful completion of the course.
- Will “OPTA” be recognized by the APTA? The credential “OPTA” doesn’t currently have any governing body, as we are the first organization to offer this specialization. As the program grows, we do believe it will be recognized as a subspecialty designation for PTAs.
- Do I need to purchase any addition reference material for the course? No additional reference material is required to be purchased.
- Does the course need to be re-taken after 10 years? No
- Why should I take this course? This course is designed to drastically improve your clinical reasoning skills and outcomes. This will, in turn, make you a much more valuable asset for your current or potential future employers. There are 5 unique lectures at the end of the course that focus on manual skills, exercise prescription, movement analysis and cuing. An OPTA specialization, through the NxtGen Institute of Physical Therapy, will allow you to offer higher quality care to your patients and assistance to your physical therapists by establishing greater continuity of care. The field of physical therapy is exploding and specialization will set you apart in the marketplace.